Branded by Abi Ketner & Missy Kalicicki Book Review and Interview
Sunday, June 30, 2013
Fifty years ago the Commander came into power and murdered all who opposed him. In his warped mind, the seven deadly sins were the downfall of society. He created the Hole where sinners are branded according to their sins and might survive a few years. At best.
Now LUST wraps around my neck like blue fingers strangling me. I’ve been accused of a crime I didn’t commit and now the Hole is my new home.
Darkness. Death. Violence. Pain.
Now every day is a fight for survival. But I won’t die. I won’t let them win.
The Hole can’t keep me. The Hole can’t break me.
I am more than my brand. I’m a fighter.
My name is Lexi Hamilton, and this is my story.
1) Where were you born and where do you call home?
Abi was born in Frederick, MD and Missy was born in Cleveland, OH.
2) Tell us something that has happened just/recently i your life that you would like to share? We wrote a book together!!! That’s probably the biggest thing that’s happening to either of us right now!
3) If you had to sum up Branded in 30 words or less,what would you say? 30 or less words: Action packed, hopeful, dark, romantic, violent, unjust, haunting, funny, and gritty.
4) If you gave lexi and Cole an opportunity to speak for themselves, what would they say? We don’t think Lexi knew how to speak for herself until she went to the Hole and experienced the violence there. Living there and meeting the people she met, gave her the words… Otherwise, she wouldn’t have had the courage before. Cole, on the other hand, would’ve continued on as a Guard without Lexi. But we like to believe that inside, he’d be miserable living that way. You'll definitely learn more about him in the second book. ;)
5) If your book was made into a tv series or movie,what actors would you like to see playing your characters? We’ve decided not to pick well-known actors or actresses only because we like to leave that open for the reader’s interpretation. We described them in the book, but like to leave the rest to the imagination.
6) List 3 books you just recently read and would recommend to readers? Three Books- The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay, The Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare, and The Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons
7) What is your favorite wine? Missy’s is Clover Hill’s DeChaunac. Abi likes orange juice & vodka more than wine.
8) Is there an author that you would like to meet in person? That’s too overwhelming of a question since we both would like to meet so many people!
9) What authors have inspired your work? For Abi- Stephenie Meyer & Suzanne Collins. For Missy- Ann Rinaldi, Bodie Thoene, & Stephenie Meyer.
10) are you currently working on any upcoming projects? We’ve started Book 2 and are very excited about it!
Abi Ketner Is a registered nurse with a passion for novels, the beaches of St. John, and her Philadelphia Phillies. A talented singer, Abi loves to go running and spend lots of time with her family. She currently resides in Lancaster, Pennsylvania with her husband, triplet daughters and two very spoiled dogs.
Melissa Kalicicki received her bachelor's degree from Millersville University in 2003. She married, had two boys and currently lives in Lancaster, Pennsylvania. Aside from reading and writing, her interests include running and mixed martial arts. She also remains an avid Cleveland sports fan.
To say I was excited to get this book for review is an understatement. Thank you NET GALLEY you rock! This book had already been getting a lot of buzz and some of my favorite bloggers were raving about this one. Missy and abi didn't disappoint. So needless to say CALLING ALL MY HUNGER GAMES fans let your mind be blown away with this one.
This book is set in a time when the world is ruled by the commander. If you thinking huge JERK then your right on point. However throw a whole lot of playing GOD in the mix and that makes him even worse. His idea of a perfect world is to brand those that are sinners and lock them away on the hole. Yup think 7 deadly sins. When I say the hole what ever horrible place your thinking of DOUBLE that! This place Is a show no mercy type of environment were you have to hustle to stay alive.
Needless to say this isn't a place for Lexi but she has been accused of a crime she can't run from. You know how most criminals yell I'm innocent well in her case she really was... I smell conspiracy.. YES! But why you ask? Ya I was asking the same thing at this point. Before the hole Lexi lead a cushy life that is until her father died. Her life before the hole was a nightmare, in her own home (heartbreaking) and now she was just in pure hell. BUT her hell had an ANGEL named COLE. Oh boy and what a fine angel with a cute mean guard dog to go with him.
Cole oh COLE. He was the perfect male lead in this book. His an lexi's relationship was hate, more hate, annoyance, then came the love and burning passion part towards the end. The want/need these two displayed for each other in this book was HOT. Unfortunately everyone around them started to notice and that was a huge No No.
This book was about survival. Lexi's journey was a rough one and at some points I thought she might have been to weak to over come many of the difficulties she faced. As this book progressed she earned the title of fighter because that's just what she did. She fought for CHANGE and everything it encompassed in the destructive world she lived in.
Missy and abi I loved this book! The twist, turns and secrets at every page was mind blowing. Great job guys!! I need more ASAP!
Book rating: 5 stars/A+
* I was provided an ARC of this book for a honest review.*